Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Spotted: PurposeRosa's Yarminiah & Yaminah


Name: Yarminiah Rosa & Yaminah Rosa
Occupation/What you’re really great at? 
Yarminiah: I am the creative director of PurposeRosa and I'm an artist who is great at gathering folks on the dance floor. 
Yaminah: Putting things together, creating, and hosting events.
Where are you ladies from? Florida
Where do you both live? Brooklyn, NY


What/who inspires you both to create or where do you get your inspiration from?
Yarminiah: I am fortunate to be in a community of creators where so many of my peers inspire me to continue evolving. I also gather inspiration from the smallest of moments that jolt my day into something memorable. Just last week I was walking and happened to be looking at the ground when these amazing patterned shadows magically appeared before me on the sidewalk. They disappeared when the clouds passed over the sun, and I realized the shadows belonged to a fence I have passed many times but never noticed. I waited around until the sun showed again to snap a few pictures as inspiration for the patterns on our brand new Mize Earrings. 
Yaminah: Culture always inspires me. I also like to look at architecture for inspiration, and food inspires me too! 
What's your favorite piece from your PurposeRosa collection?
Yarminiah: I love our Fuse earrings because they are great conversation starters, and they can be dressed up or down. They also make wonderful music when you walk. It just doesn't get better than that! 
Yaminah: My absolute favorite is the Slice ring!
How would you describe your style:
Yarminiah: Bright, comfortable, and funky.
Yaminah: Unpredictable and bold.

Yaminah (left) is wearing a Bum-Cake1980's yellow polka dot dress. Yarminiah (right) is wearing an early 1990's blue linen dress. 
Why do you like wearing vintage & what's your favorite vintage item?
Yarminiah: I know no one else will have what I am wearing. My mother's beautiful egyptian silver bracelet my dad got her from Egypt. The details on that thing are breathtaking!
Yaminah: Always brings back the charm and fun in fashion. Purses! I love vintage bags! 
You ladies have great skin, what are your beauty secrets?
Yarminiah: Thank you! For me hydration is key so I use Boots Expert Sensitive Hydrating Moisturizer every night before I go to bed and I try to drink as much water as I can. Yaminah is the makeup guru, and I get most of my beauty tips from her. A good bronzer is my only essential. 
Yaminah: Lots of water, sleep, great cleanser and moisturizer and of course a healthy diet. Thanks to my Latin and Caribbean parents, I love fruits, veggies, and fish which keeps skin looking great!


If your weren’t living/working in NYC, you’d be: 
Yarminiah: Somewhere abroad experiencing new and challenging things. I would probably start in Thailand. I am interested in living and learning their lifestyle. 
Yaminah: In LA, Chicago, or somewhere in the Caribbean.
What kind of music have you all been listening to lately?
Yarminiah: Been listening to lots of Emily King, Bilal, Hillsong United, and Kiara Lanier.
Yaminah: Let's see... a bit of Kendrick Lamar, Sara Tavares, and lots of Bachata lately.


What's in store next for PurposeRosa?
Yarminiah: We are moving towards a philanthropic focus. It has always been a dream of ours to extend our creativity and success beyond ourselves. We understand that purpose has very little to do with us, and everything to do with uplifting and encouraging others. 
Yaminah: We have lots in store for the future, one of the things I am most excited about is a refined men's line!
Anything else you’d like to say:
Yarminiah: Thanks for having us. 

You can check out the Rosa sisters designs at: PurposeRosa.com

ALL PHOTOS BY:  Jamil Smith of JamilSmithPhotography.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment